Check the description for time information.
Haleakala Bike & Maui Winery Tour
The owner Rich Goodenough conceived the guided safari downhill bike tour concept in 1983. Maui Downhill is a divison of Maui Bicycle Safaris, LTD, the oldest, most experience and most professional company in the business. Established in 1984, Maui Downhill has guided over 500,000 visitors down Haleakala from the summit to the sea, touring over 11 million miles on our custom-built bikes.
Maui Downhill offers a variety of safari bike tours. It is a breathtaking experience and there's nothing like it. Our tours and Hawaii-certified tour guides have been voted "Maui's Best Land Tour Experience".
Maui Downhill's goal is to provide each guest with a memorable experience of the most exciting environmental bike ride in the world.
Maui's unique topography provides our guests with palate of sights and smells as they bike down the winding road from the summit. The terrain ranges from the impressive barren lunar landscape of Haleakala's summit, through unexpected eucalyptus forests, past the island's protea and flower farms and through vast pineapple and sugar cane fields reaching to the edges of Upcountry Maui.
Excerpts from our guest book include comments such as: "Thanks for the thrill and sharing your beautiful countryside", "Awesome times and views", "The first activity we've done that's truly worth the money", "Second trip with Maui Downhill". We feel that these sentiments tell it all!
- Meet us at our Base office location in Kahului.
- Continental breakfast, pastries, hot beverages and restrooms are provided at our base office.
- Bicycle helmets and windbreakers are fitted to each guest for their comfort and tour safety.
- Safari van tour ascends to the top of Haleakala Ranch at the 6500’ elevation outside the National Park.
- Tour Guides will go over a comprehensive safety briefing Including Hawaii’s bicycle safety regulations and tour guidelines.
- Downhill bike safari gently descends the western slopes of Haleakala volcano with two safety stops in the switchbacks for rider evaluation, rest and photo opportunities.
- Enjoy spectacular views while coasting down the newly paved state highway. This roadway has wide paved “pull out” areas for photo stops and/or traffic passes.
- Two experienced tour guides will be with you to answer any questions.
- Enjoy the comfort of our custom made bicycle while coasting through the green switchbacks of the western slopes filled with bi-coastal views of the Central Valley.
- Eucalyptus forests and the upcountry community of Kula with its beautiful lavender farms and Jacaranda tree lined roadways will complete the bicycle portion of your safari.
- Safari van tour continues from above Pukalani and travels to Ulupalakua with photo stop along the way.
- Enjoy a no-host lunch and rest stop.
- Walk the grounds of Maui's only winery and enjoy free tasting of local wines.
- Tour duration is 7 hours.
Here are some guidelines and tips before you get on one of our tours.
- Wear warm clothing in layers.
- Competent riders - please, no beginners.
- Sorry, NO PREGNANT WOMEN can Bike Ride but may van ride.
- Minimum 12 years of age.
- 5 feet tall guideline height.
- Wear close-toed rubber soled shoes.
- Maximum weight for bike rider is 250 lbs.
- No Riders may participate with medical conditions that would
- adversely effect them in this activity.
- Riders must sign acknowledgement of risk & safety form.